Last update: 13 March 2015
We accept payment by:
- credit card (VISA or MASTERCARD)*
- direct credit (ALPINE RECREATION CANTERBURY LTD, 06-0889-0090265-00, ANZ Bank Timaru, NEW ZEALAND. Swift code: ANZBNZ22)**
- cheque (New Zealand residents only)
* A 2% bank fee applies to all payments made by credit or debit cards.
** International banks may charge additional transaction fees.
1a. Deposit payment
A non-refundable deposit is payable to secure a booking:
- A NZ$300 deposit is required for all bookings.
This deposit is non-refundable, unless a trip needs to be cancelled due to Covid-19 requirements, in which case you have the option of transferring the deposit to a future trip with Alpine Recreation Canterbury Ltd., or cancelling, in which case a $100 administration fee will be retained and the remainder of the deposit refunded. Please note that we do require a minimum of two participants to run trips that have a maximum 1:4 guide-client ratio. If a trip does not reach minimum numbers then you have the option of transferring to another trip, getting a full refund or paying extra for a 1:1 guide-client ratio.
1b. Balance payment
The remaining balance of the trip price (including any applicable discounts) is due 60 days prior to departure. If you have already paid the balance and have to cancel due to Covid-19 then we will refund you the full amount of the balance.
- Public holidays: on a surcharge of NZ per person per day applies.
- Overtime: if your trip is extended beyond its end date (eg. being unable to fly out due to weather), you will be required to pay a per day surcharge to cover your guide's wages and any hut fees for use of non-Alpine Recreation huts.
2. Cancellation and Refund Policy
Taking out insurance for trip cancellation is highly recommended. This can cover you for loss of deposits should you be unable to participate in the trip due to personal reasons.
- Cancellations received more than 50 days before departure: full refund less the non-refundable deposit.
- Cancellations received within 31 to 50 days of departure: 50% refund of the total trip price.
- Cancellations received within 30 days of departure: no refund.
- Full refunds will be given for cancellations due to Covid-19, or you will have the option to transfer to alternative future dates.
Credit / debit card and bank transaction fees are non-refundable.
3. Fitness Failure
If a client needs extra services due to lack of fitness and inability to continue with the group, additional fees may apply. For example, in the case of Ball Pass, if a client overestimates his/her fitness to the extent that on Day 1 he/she is not able to reach Caroline Hut; or if the guide judges that the client is not fit enough to continue with the group, then he/she may need to pay an extra fee of NZ$450, to cover the costs of an additional guide to evacuate him/her and transport. The client will be liable for his/her own accommodation/meal expenses outside the tour in such a case.
The operators reserve the right to alter, amend or cancel any tour, should weather or any other situation demand this. When you enrol for a mountain activity you are purchasing the services and professional judgement of your guide, who will make the best decision at the time, taking into account the weather, the snow, ice and route conditions, and your abilities and fitness. Alpine Recreation can make no guarantee that you will achieve your goal, because of these varying factors and safety has to be the overriding consideration. In case weather forces you to remain in the mountains longer than intended, then you will need to pay the guide's wages and your hut fees for the extra day(s). (Our guides are very good at judging the weather and timing your exit to avoid this happening.)
For further details please refer to our Bad Weather Policies:
While we do our best to minimise risk, we cannot eliminate it entirely. Alpine Recreation Canterbury Ltd and its agents finalise all arrangements for these tours upon the express condition that they shall not be liable for loss of life, injury, illness, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of weather or any defect in any vehicle or aircraft or through the acts of default of any company or persons engaged in conveying the passengers or carrying out of arrangements of the tours. The New Zealand Accident Compensation scheme applies. All clients need to read and accept our waiver form before starting their tour. These conditions are subject to any rights or remedies a customer has under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, or any other New Zealand law.